Our social workers specialise in working with adults who are approaching the end of their life, as well as their families, those they are close to and their communities. We use particular skills and knowledge to help people to deal with the impact of what is happening to them, including loss and bereavement, which includes having a good life and a good death. We work in partnership with those or the people we offer support to. We are able to work alongside other professions, agencies, organisations and as part of the wider community in which we are based. We bring social care expertise and perspective to situations in order to ensure that people get the support they need.
This may include:
- Access to community and social support networks and resources.
- Knowledge of your entitlements
- How to manage financially
- Housing including residential care placement
- Advocacy, e.g. with Work and Income
- Legal aspects, e.g. making a will and setting up powers of attorney
- Funeral planning
- Family meetings
- Exploring options for immediate needs and long term planning, e.g. advance care planning