A one day training programme for healthcare assistants in any setting – homecare, aged residential care, hospital or hospice.
The dates for the next courses are:
Wednesday 13 June 2018 – Sorry this course is fully booked
Wednesday 15 August 2018 – Sorry this course is fully booked
Wednesday 17 October 2018
Thursday 13 September 2018
From 9am to 4.30pm at Waipuna Hospice.
$35 includes morning and afternoon tea. Participants please bring your own lunch.
Please complete the registration form below.
CANCELLATIONS: Due to the popularity of the workshops we require at least 3 working days notice of any cancellations or the full fee will be incurred. If you are unable to attend, a substitute can be sent in your place if appropriate.
Session 1 – Introduction to Palliative Care
At the end of the session you will be able to:
- Define palliative care
- Describe why palliative care is needed and who may need it
- Discuss models of care and a holistic approach to care
- Explain what quality of care means
- Describe examples of ways of providing care
Session 2 – Symptom Assessment and Management
At the end of session two you will be able to:
- Understand your role in pain and symptom management
- Discuss the concept of total pain
- Describe how to assess symptoms
- Explain how to manage symptoms
Session 3 – Communication Skills for Supporting Patients and Family/Whanau
At the end of session three you will be able to:
- Understand the importance of good communication
- Identify barriers to effective communication
- Feel more confident when faced with courageous conversations
Session 4 – Last Days of Life
At the end of session four you will be able to:
- Recognise deterioration
- Understand symptom management in the last days of life
- Describe the holistic nature of loss and grief
- Know the importance of self-care